The Kanan Devan Hills Plantations Company (P) Ltd succeeded Tata Tea Limited on the 1st of April, 2005, when the latter exited most of its plantations in Munnar to focus on the growth of its branded tea business. Having created an exemplary plantation model, KDHP is the first ever employee owned plantation company in India and nearly all its employees are shareholders. With seven extensive tea gardens covering an area of 24000 Hectares, 16 tea manufacturing units with an annual production of 22 Million Kilograms of tea and close to 12,000 employees, KDHP is today the largest...More Info
Chundavurrai Estate with a total tea area of 1290 Ha., covers an area of 3930 Ha., and comprises of the erstwhile four estates i.e., Chundavurrai, Kundaly, Chittavurrai and Yellapatty, commonly known as the Top Station estates. Situated between the border of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, three of its tea fields are located in Tamil Nadu. It was via Bodinayakanur that the pioneer planters came to this district and reached Top station to start plantations in this area. History reveals that a Light Railway and later a Ropeway was used to connect Munnar and this estate, with the Ropeway Station at this end being called Top station. The Organic section of KDHP (122.4 Ha.), is part of the Chundavurrai Estate.
The Kundaly Club is situated on this estate, and wildlife found here is plenty, particularly Elephants and Bisons. One of the first hydroelectric Dams in Kerala namely Sethu Parvathi Puram is in this area.
Nyamakad Tea Estate is located in the western end of the High Ranges (Kanan Devan Hills) of the Southern Western Ghats in the Devikulam Taluk of Idukki district, Kerala State between 10º N Latitude and 77º E Longitude.
The estate has a total extent of 3710 Ha. and comprises of the Nyamakad, Rajamallay, Kanniamallay and Kadalaar sections. The estate has 1070 Ha. under tea and 1030.11 Ha. of energy plantations.
&The elevation of these sections range from 5973 feet in Rajamallay to 5012 feet in Kanniamallay, and the estate is situated at the base of the highest peak in peninsular India, the Aneimudi (8787 ft.). The estate experiences very heavy rainfall and receives its major precipitation during the south-west monsoons (June-August) averaging an annual rainfall of 3000mm. January-March are relatively dry months, and during winter, the temperature goes down even below freezing point.
Nullatanni Estate, a combination of 3 erstwhile estates, namely, Periavurrai, Kalaar, and Nullatanni is located in the western side of the High Ranges bordering Munnar town. The average altitude is around 5000 ft, and the estate receives medium to heavy rainfall during the monsoon months.
Nullatanni Section itself is a combination of 2 erstwhile estates, namely Nullatanni and Nadiar. During the early 1970’s these two estates were amalgamated into one estate. Nullatanni Sections alone comprise of 498.9 Ha. of tea and 263.49 Ha. of fuel area, i.e., a total of 762.4 Ha. Nullatanni derived its name long ago when the land in these areas was being cleared for tea planting, the ‘Kanganees’ (Supervisors), along with the workers used to rest here and have their food over here as they felt that the water in these areas was very good, hence the name “Nullatanni”, which literally means Good Water (‘nalla’ meaning good and ‘thanni’ meaning water)!
The name of this estate originated from the word ‘village of cattle’ (madu meaning cattle and patty meaning village). Another story on its origin is that the present Madupatty Reservoir used to be abundant with wild Indian Gaur before the dam was constructed.
This estate comprises of nine Divisions in total and two Factories, one being Madupatty Factory and the other Chokanad Factory.
Prior to the great floods of 1924, Madupatty Estate used to house the headquarters of the company and the General Manager’s bungalow. Subsequently, as the existing buildings in Madupatty were damaged beyond repair, these were moved to Munnar, to its present locations. The floods also damaged the Kundaly Valley Light Railway, which was used to transport goods from Munnar to Madupatty. This was followed by Ropeways, ie., Munnar to Madupatty, Madupatty to Chundavurrai, Chundavurrai to Top Station
Located to the east of Munnar at an average elevation of about 5500 feet, the Guderale Estate is the second largest estate in KDHP Co Pvt Ltd. The estate comprises of 13 Divisions and has a total area of 3527 Ha., which includes an area of 1395 Ha. planted with tea. When KDHP Co Pvt Ltd took over the plantation business from Tata Tea Ltd, the erstwhile estates of Arivikad, Guderale and Devikulam were amalgamated and Guderale Estate, as we know it today was formed.
The estate receives an average annual rainfall of 68 inches, and the total population on the estate is about eight thousand.
Though the estate is spread out from Echo Point on the Top Station main road, at one end to Lockhart/Periakanal on the other end, it is contiguous in nature.
The name “Gundu” means Round and “Mallay” means mountain, and this Estate’s name has been derived from the presence of a round rock-mountain in Field No. 22 of Upper Division. Earlier, this Estate constituted three Divisions, namely Upper, Lower and Kadugmudi, while Sothupari (the name derived due to the presence of a rock or “parai” where workers earlier had their food or “Sor” while coming from Talliar) constituted the remaining three Divisions, viz Benmore,Top and New. Presently all have been clubbed together, along with Thenmallay (Lower, Factory and New) and Vagavurrai (Top, Lower, Bazaar, Factory, Navaal and Luckham) Sections to form Gundumallay Estate. The estate has tea fields that are located as high as 6576 ft above MSL.
Letchmi Estate is situated in the south-west part of the beautiful Kanan Devan Hills. This part of the district receives high rainfall and occasional frost during the winter, and the average annual rainfall for the estate is around 170 inches. With the amalgamation of Letchmi and Sevenmallay Estates to form Letchmi Estate on 1st April 2005, the total tea area of the estate became 1075 Ha. The total area of the estate at 2068 Ha. consists of tea, energy plantation, jungle and other area in Viriparai Division, which was opened in 1991.
Letchmi Estate took its name from the Goddess Letchmi, while the Sevenmallay Divisions’ name is attributed to the Hindu God Sivan and ‘malley’denoting a hill which, with the passage of time and usage got designated as Sevenmallay.