Latitude : N09° 59.938'
Longitude : E077° 09.902'
Elevation: 5336 Feet above Mean Sea Level
Certifications: Rainforest Alliance, ETP
Madupatty Estate comprises of the erstwhile Madupatty, Chokanad and Grahamsland Estates, which was amalgamated in the years 2004/05 & 2005/06 respectively. It is surrounded by Gundumallay, Guderale, Letchmi and Nullatanni estates.
The name of this estate originated from the word ‘village of cattle’ (madu meaning cattle and patty meaning village). Another story on its origin is that the present Madupatty Reservoir used to be abundant with wild Indian Gaur before the dam was constructed.
This estate comprises of nine Divisions in total and two Factories, one being Madupatty Factory and the other Chokanad Factory.
Prior to the great floods of 1924, Madupatty Estate used to house the headquarters of the company and the General Manager’s bungalow. Subsequently, as the existing buildings in Madupatty were damaged beyond repair, these were moved to Munnar, to its present locations. The floods also damaged the Kundaly Valley Light Railway, which was used to transport goods from Munnar to Madupatty. This was followed by Ropeways, ie., Munnar to Madupatty, Madupatty to Chundavurrai, Chundavurrai to Top Station.
This estate hosts the Research & Development Department of KDHP, as well as the High Range School. Madupatty Dam is situated within a kilometer from the factory; this was built in 1953 with a depth of 148 feet, and the area of water reservoir is 323.75 Ha. When the dam was constructed, a lot of tea areas, energy plantations and buildings including labour quarters, the factory and bungalows were submerged by the waters.
The Grahamsland and Madupatty sections are frequented by wild life like Elephants, Bisons, Sambar etc.
Chokanad Division which girdles the Munnar town has many landmarks like Ladbroke House, which is named after Ladbroke Square in London, High Range Club, and the Ramasamy Aiyer Headworks, which is the tunnel inlet to the Pullivasal Hydro Electric Station.
Grahamsland Estate was named after Mr. Graham who was a former planter who had a small plantation, and houses the present Madupatty Manager’s Bungalow.